Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Nyeisha's Significant Person in my Life/WP1 Assignment


                                                The Significant Person in my Life
                                    There was someone in my life that played an important role in my literacy, and that person was my mother.  Her name is Jacqueline Washington. As a young girl around eight or nine, that’s when she taught me how powerful it was to have an education.  My mother would always express to me how significant it was to attend school everyday and be productive and if I did this, it would surely help me out in my future.  So I stayed in school and did exactly what my mother told me to do.
                                    After me and my mother spoke to me about school she would always help me with my homework if I needed it even when she had a long stressful day at work, she never missed the opportunity to assist me if necessary.  I started to maintain good grades in school and became one of my teacher’s star students and my mother was very proud.  By the end of that third grade school year at Fundamental Education Center located on Cleveland’s east side I was an A/B student.
                                    As the years past I was unstoppable in school my grades had gotten better.  As the years had past I maintained Merit Roll status all the way to the eighth grade.  I had okay teachers, but I always felt that they were there for a paycheck instead of it being a passion for them.  I had this one teacher that gave us work to do but the class was so disruptive that she just passed a lot of my classmates along just to get them out of her class and sent them to the next teacher.
                                    I was one in a few that understood the work that was given to me, if it was something that I didn’t comprehend because the lack of direction the teacher gave I always had my mother’s support.  After eighth grade though I went and started hanging out with some people I had no business even associating with and went down the wrong path for a while .
                                    For a long time I was partying with people who I assumed were my friends and I started drinking and doing things that were not at all Nyeisha.  So at around fifteen almost sixteen I found out I was pregnant with my now sixteen year old son.  Though my mother made me drop out of school and raise my son she knew how important school was but at the time I had someone more important at the time that needed me.
                                    I stayed at home and raised my son too, it was a struggle for me but like my mother said “You made your bed now lay in it.”  It was difficult to give up all of my teenage freedom and grow up so quickly but there was no way of getting around this.  My mother was very upset with me for making such a poor decision so young with me being a child myself, how was I going to be a good mother as a teenager. 
                                    After many many years of living and learning and going through trials and tribulations with being such a young mother regardless my mother was still there for me even to wipe the tears from my eyes when I needed her to.  Thanks to my mother telling me that it is never to late to go back to school and you’ve always been a star student so you will be fine.  She made me the person I am today and she is one of the main reasons I have the motivation to go back.  Even with the hell I gave her she never not once gave up on me.
                                    Thank You mom for always being a backbone for me when I needed one, and taking out the time to be a real mother to me.  And for always being honest and never sugar coating things for me, truly this is one person who deserves to be mentioned in this story.  This is someone who made a huge significance in my life story.

No comments:

Post a Comment